The ethernet doesn’t have a valid ip configuration error that occurs when the network card of your device which is connected to the Modem as well as the router is unable to fetch a valid IP address. Every system has its own IP address that is capable of identifying the system within the range of network connectivity. Whenever a user tries to access the internet, their device’s IP address is the first thing that is verified by the network servers.
In the past few years, the dependency on the internet has increased rapidly and has attracted users to it. Every error that prevents you from accessing the internet is aggravating. It does not allow you to get connected to the internet servers and throws an error of “ethernet doesn’t have a valid ip configuration windows 10” every time you try surfing the internet.
If you fail to allot a proper yet valid IP address to your Network Interface card, then you are going to face a rejection through the servers. You will be restricted from using the internet and hence no browsing could be done. This error is caused due to the problems faced in, either router, network adapter, or ISP. Read more to get complete information regarding the issue.
Cause of Ethernet Doesn't Have A Valid IP Configuration:
Now all of you are comfortable with the ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP error. But do you know what are the reasons causing this error? If not, don’t worry. When you go through any such error, the first thing to look at while fixing is its causes. Let us now discuss some of the main reasons that cause the ethernet doesn’t have a valid ip configuration windows 10.
- Defective Network Card: The most common cause of the no valid ip configuration error faced by the Ethernet connection is the fault in the network card. The network card usually has 2 lights. If you notice that either of the lights is missing, then you should probably check your network card as it may be defective.
- Corrupted or Faulty Network Drivers: Sometimes the outdated network drivers also result in the presence of the ethernet that doesn’t have valid IP error. The faulty or corrupted network drivers do the same. Thus, it is advised to keep a continuous check over all your drivers.
- Unnecessary Network Cache Memory: The presence of the network cache memory leads to the occurrence of the ethernet doesn’t have a valid ip configuration error.
- Antivirus Software: Antivirus software is used to provide safety and security to your device. When you try to access some sensitive websites, the antivirus detects them and marks them as harmful due to which you may encounter the ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration windows 10.
- Temporary Files: The temporary files collected all over your device are another main cause of the invalid ip configuration. They block the passage for the incoming files and cookies because of which you get to face this error.
Methods to Fix Ethernet Doesn't Have A Valid IP Configuration Error:
After knowing the causes due to which the ethernet doesn’t have a valid ip configuration occurs, we will now discuss the ways to fix the problem. The invalid ip configuration error can easily be resolved using multiple ways. Today we will be discussing some of the effective ways to restore your ethernet that doesn’t have a valid ip address issue. The methods are as follows-
Disable Fast Startup:
The first and the easiest way to fix the ethernet that doesn’t have a valid ip configuration windows 10 error is by disabling the fast startup process. Most of you must be aware of this feature. For the rest of the audience, a fast startup process allows your device to start faster when kept in a sleeping mode or is turned on instantly. So, in this process we have you disable this feature to fix the error. Here’s how you can disable it more conveniently.
- Go to the start menu, search for the “Control panel”. Right-click on the displayed search to start the program.
- From the options displayed on the screen, click on the “Category option” situated right in front of the “View by” option.
- Then click on “Large icons” and then you will see a list of options displayed on the screen.
- Look for the “Power option” button and click on it.
- The window will now open up on the screen. It displays all the current running plans. From the left side section, select the option of “Choose what the power button will do”.
- After this, click on the option of “Change settings” and proceed further.
- In the next window, you will see two or three options. Out of them, uncheck the “Turn on fast startup” option under the “Shutdown settings”.
- Now, click on the “Save changes” options to save all the recently made changes.
- Once you are done with it, restart your PC to check if the no valid ip configuration error still continues. If it does, move on to the next methods.
Check Network Adapter Settings:
The ethernet doesn’t have a valid ip address error can occur even due to the changes made in the IP address of your device. Every device has its own default IP address. You can even change it according to you. But sometimes, setting the IP address to be set through the manual option may lead to ethernet doesn’t have a valid ip configuration windows 10 error. Here are the steps through which you can modify the Network Adapter settings.
- Start the “Run command” on your device using the Windows + R shortcut keys.
- Now, in the run command window, enter the ‘ncpa.cpl’ command in the given text box followed by the enter key or the “OK” button on the bottom of the window.
- In the network connection window, right-click on the “Ethernet” option to get the adapter settings and then click on the “Properties” option from the drop-down menu.
- Now from the networking tab menu in the Ethernet Properties section, click on the “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). After this, click on the “Properties” option located at the bottom of the page.
- In the next step, you will see two options on the window. If the IP address and DNS server are chosen automatically or to set them manually. From there, check if the automatic option is selected or not. If it is not, then select the options using the radio button and then click on “OK”. After you have successfully saved all the made changes, you can easily exit the window.
- After this, restart your device to check the connectivity of your device. Jump on to the next method if the error still persists.
Run The Network Adapter Troubleshooter:
The Windows 10 OS inhibits multiple troubleshooting features that allow the users to deal with the most common errors occurring on their devices. One such troubleshooting option is the Network Adapter. This feature is mainly used to fix the ethernet that doesn’t have a valid ip configuration windows 10 issue. Here are the steps that you should follow to fix your error in a couple of minutes.
- Use the Windows + I key shortcut to run the “Network adapter” troubleshooter option.
- Then click on the “Settings” option and then go to the “Update and security” option.
- As you open the window, you will see a list of various tabs on the left side of it. From this, select the “Troubleshoot” option followed by the “Additional troubleshooter option on the right side of it.
- In this window, scroll down the entire page and navigate the “Network adapter” option. Click on it and then select the “Run the troubleshooter” option.
- In the next window, select the “Network adapter” before moving ahead.
- Now, select the adapter that you want to be diagnosed with. Click on the “Ethernet” option followed by the “Next” button.
- You have reached halfway in the process. Now, you only have to follow the on-screen instructions to complete the diagnosis and to fix this error. Restart your device and check if the error has been fixed. If this method has not helped you, kindly move on to the next method.
Reinstall Your Network Driver:
Another cause of getting the invalid ip configuration error is the presence of faulty network drivers. They throw this error continuously due to which the user gets into trouble. Then you should definitely try reinstalling your network drivers. This may sound difficult, but the actual process is quite easy and quick.
- Go to the “Start menu” and search for the “Device Manager” option
- Click on it to launch the tool on your device.
- Under the device manager window, you have to look out for the “Network adapter” option.
- Double-click on this option to view the details.
- Now, in the next window select the adapter in which you are facing the issue. Click on the “Ethernet” adapter and then click on the “Uninstall device” option from the menu listed on the screen.
- As you click on the uninstall option, your system will show you a warning. Select the option of “Delete the driver software” and then click on “Uninstall”.
- Once the network driver is uninstalled from the device, exit the window.
- Restart your device. When you restart it, your system will automatically fetch the data and then it will reinstall the network driver again. After it is done, browse the internet and notice if you are still facing the issue of the ethernet doesn’t have a valid ip configuration.
Assign A MAC Address To Your Network Card:
The MAC address is the necessity of the network card. It allows the network card to build a connection with the router. So, in case you enter the incorrect MAC address, you will not be able to get connected to the internet. Your device will continuously throw an error saying that the ethernet doesn’t have valid IP. Hence, the below steps will guide you to allot the MAC address manually to your network card.
- Open the “Run command” window using the Windows + R keys shortcut to open it directly.
- In the dialogue box, type the “cmd” command and then click on “Enter”.
- The command prompt window will now open up on the screen. In this, type the “ipconfig/all” and then click on the Enter key.
- This command lists out all the important configurations of your devices. In this, you will see an option named ”Physical address”. Note down the address written in front of it.
- Now click on the network icon on the lower tab of your device.
- Then select the “Open network and internet settings” on it.
- Now go to the network and sharing center and then click on the Change adapter settings.
- Then right-click on the type of network you are using and then go to its properties.
- Now click on configure and then go to the “advanced tab”. After this click on the “Network address” after which locate the value tab.
- After this, enter the physical address that you copied above.’
- Click “OK” and save all the changes you have made.
Try restarting your device and check for the error.
Uninstall The Recently Installed Windows Updates:
The regular Windows update often leads to the creation of bugs and fixes on your device. These bugs are capable of crashing your entire system as well. One such way is the ethernet doesn’t have a valid ip configuration windows 10 error. So, if you notice that the error started to occur after installing your Windows update, then you should uninstall those updates to eliminate the no valid ip configuration error from your device. Here are the steps through which you can uninstall your Windows update easily.
- Open the settings option using the Windows + I key shortcut to go to the settings option directly.
- Now, click on the “Update and security settings option.
- In the next window displayed on the screen, click on the view update history option to get a closer look at the updates.
- After this, click on the “uninstall Update” option displayed on the screen.
- Now, you will get an entire list of all the updates you have installed till now. The updates will also have the dates of installation mentioned in front of their name.
- From the list, select all the recent updates made by you and click on the “Uninstall” option.
- After this, you have to follow all the on-screen instructions to finish the process.
- Repeat this process for all the problematic updates until your system is in a stable condition.
- Once you are done with the process, try connecting your device with the ethernet connection. Hopefully, after this, you will be able to get connected to the internet.
If still, you are not able to eliminate the ethernet doesn’t have a valid ip configuration windows 10 error, then you should move ahead to the next method.
Update The Network Drivers:
If you have tried reinstalling the network drivers and the error is still existing, there can be a possibility that the network drivers may be outdated. Therefore, you should try updating them to their latest versions. Here are the steps to update the network drivers of your device.
- Select the “Ethernet” option, right-click on it and then click on the “Update driver” option from the menu.
- Once the update driver window is opened on the screen, you will see two options to update the drivers.
- Either you select and grant Windows the permission to fetch and install the best version of the drivers. Or the other option is to search for the recent updates yourself and to install them manually.
- The first option is recommended as you do not have to interfere in the process.
- Once you are done with the permission part, follow the on-screen instructions to finish the entire process. It will not take more than a couple of minutes to finish installing the drivers.
- Sometimes, the windows may not be able to get the latest versions. But that does not mean the drivers do not have their latest version. In such a case, you have to visit the manufacturer’s website and need to download them manually.
- To do this, right-click on the driver and go through the properties section.
- Now go to the Drivers tab and look out for the older version. This will make it easier for you to get the latest version quickly.
- Download the latest version using the official website and then restart your device.
The error has now been resolved.
Frequently Asked Questions ( FAQ's)
Let us now discuss some of the most common questions asked by the majority of users. The questions will help you to relate to your doubts and queries in case you have any. So do read out the questions once to get a better understanding.
- Is the invalid ip configuration issue harmful to my device?
Facing the no valid ip configuration issue is not a big deal. It can occur anytime. The error can corrupt the system files of your device and can damage it. It may even crash your system. Thus, you should not risk your system’s health by entertaining any such issue. Try eliminating it as soon as possible.
- What are the possible reasons due to which the ethernet doesn’t have a valid ip configuration windows 10 error occurs on my device?
There are several reasons or possible causes of the network doesn’t having a valid ip configuration error code.
- Power system
- Collection of a large number of junk files.
- Windows update
- DNS server issues
- Fast startup issues
- Faulty network drivers
- Damaged cable
- Malfunctioning routers
- How can I resolve the issue of ethernet doesn’t have a valid ip address issue?
Based on the reasons due to which the invalid ip configuration error is caused, various methods can be used to resolve this issue. First of all, try restarting your device to fix it. If it doesn’t, use any of the above methods to fix it. First of all, identify the cause of the error and then proceed in that direction. Use the hit and trial technique to pick out a method to be used.
- Are the methods mentioned in this article safe to use?
Yes. all the methods or solutions mentioned above are definitely safe and secure to be used. They do not require your personal details but only guide you to make modifications in the working of your system. The modification itself involves cleaning unnecessary junk files, regular scanning of your device, and many such techniques to help you eliminate the ethernet that doesn’t have valid ip address errors from your device. Thus, you can use either of them without a doubt.
As mentioned above, there can be more than 10+ reasons causing the doesn’t have a valid ip configuration ethernet error on your device. Hopefully, by now you must have been able to fix this error. All the above methods are tried and tested. You can use any of these methods as they will guide you to get rid of this error.
Even after trying all the methods, you are still facing the fact that the ethernet doesn’t have a valid ip address issue, so you should immediately contact the local ISP server of your network. The problem may be on their part. Otherwise, any of the above methods definitely would have helped you. If any of your doubts or queries still persists, you can drop all of them in the comment sections below.