In today’s fast-paced technological world, with every new update coming up of computers, users now want to maximize their output through optimized systems. Windows has been a leading provider for operating systems that sell billions of pre-installed features on their OS to the users. Also, with the updates from Windows 8, many users encountered a problem that caused high CPU usage without performing any operation. High CPU usage all the time can potentially lead the system to slow more quickly and thus will reduce the lifespan of the CPU. Moreover, sometimes people encountered the service host local system high CPU issue as well as a hard disk operating on very high capacity without valid reasons.
Unfortunately, with newer updates like from Windows 10, the issue was not solved. Computer experts called it Service Host: Local Service (Network Restricted) which may have been causing the system to behave like this. Many people complain that this problem is persistent whenever they try to power on the computer after sleep. Sometimes this happens while running normally. Such an issue needs to be solved and this article aims at providing such a solution with a stepwise process. But first let us understand what is Service Host: Local system?
What is Service Host: Local System?
If we are to define Service Host: Local system, it can be explained as a bundle of processes that are executed by the system. In other words, we can term it as a container for Hosting generic Services. The Service Host: Local system includes all the required Services performed by the operating system which runs because of specific necessities. They may be in the form of any Windows update or any other system function. And these ongoing tasks are what cause your hard disk memory to get filled up so quickly or affect your RAM or sometimes even your network speed. And these all issues have been common after users updated their system to Windows 10.
This Service Host: Local system can drain much of your resources from your PC. To see whether your Windows is affected by this problem, you can click Ctrl+ Alt+ Del which will take you to the task manager instantly. From there find the process tab and then scroll down, and you will see many Service Hosts which are running with some specific processes. You can find your Service Host: Local system among all other Services such as Network Service or Local Service.
Common Service Host Local System Errors
When you encounter an issue with your CPU usage, you will see a drastic impact on your computer making it slow. So consequently, the optimization from the OS will also be affected. The following are some different issues that people have reported that caused Service Host Local system in their PC:
- Service Host Local system using resources: Sometimes people face a lot of problems due to the Service Host Local system since it uses an excess of the resources from the computer making the system fail in certain circumstances.
- Making the CPU slower: Service Host Local system causes the system to slow down because of huge background Services running on the background. This ultimately causes your CPU to lag with each passing day.
- Taking too much space in the memory drive: One of the most confusing parts about the Service Host Local system is that it takes too much hard disk storage without performing a single action. And it also results in the unavailability of space for other important files.
- Problems during start-up: Many times, Service Hosts cause troubles as soon as you start your PC affecting your daily tasks to remain incomplete.
- Memory leak: Sometimes the performance is drastically affected by Service Host Local system since they create memory leaks.
What Can I Do If Service Host Is Causing High CPU Usage?
This problem is a persistent issue for most Windows 10 users. There are various ways in which you can eradicate the problem of service host local service high CPU with simple steps as explained below:
Disabling Tasks Related To Service Host: Local System
The first method that you can apply to solve this issue is to disable the tasks that are related to the Service Host Local system. But sometimes people find it difficult for locating the tasks that are causing trouble in the task manager. You can follow these steps and you will be able to successfully end those tasks:
- Go to the search bar on your screen and after clicking on it, type task manager that will open your task manager on the PC. You can also access to task manager by pressing Ctrl+ Alt+ Del.
- Then you will see a set of different Service tasks on your screen. You have to search the Service Host Local system among all the tasks which are shown on the window. From the list, choose the Services that are taking too much space. And then right-click on them one by one and click on the end task button.
- After this, your extreme memory usage will decrease significantly. And once you find the Services that are the reason behind this trouble, right-click on those Services and then click on the open Services button.
- Now the problematic Services will be shown after the previous steps. You can access all of them from the Service manager and you have to right-click on those. You will see an option to stop. You have to click on that. By this time your problem of high disk usage should have ended. If the problem persists, you can stop more Services that use too much memory.
Disable BITS and SuperFetch
If the previous method doesn’t work and the problem of the Service Host Local system persists, you can try and disable BITS and SuperFetch to stop the unnecessary Services. The steps for doing the same are as follows:
- First, go to the search bar and then type Services. Then you have to click on the options as shown in the screenshot below and click on the open option.
- Then from the Services shown on your screen, find the Background Intelligent Transfer Service and then double click on that option.
- The screen will show you a popup window in which all the details about the Services of BITS. Click on the stop option visible on your screen and then set the start-up type to disabled from the options in the menu. Then you need to click on the apply button. This will disable the BITS. At this point, opt to click “OK” in order to confirm.
- Then go to the search bar and type SuperFetch. You need to open it and then you will see a window of its details. You need to click on stop and then disable it like the previous step and your SuperFetch will be solved after a quick restart.
Fixing Memory Leak Issue
When you end the tasks that you find troubling or which are causing the excessive usage of storage, there will still be some memory leaks in the memory section which are not a part of the paged memory. You may opt for resolving this issue using the given steps:
- Open your search bar and then type Regedit and then click on the open option available on the screen.
- This will open up a popup window that will ask to make sure you are allowing the app to make changes to your system. Opt for clicking “Yes”.
- Then from the options visible on your screen, go to the location for “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>ControlSet001>Services>ndu”. This will open a screen like shown in the screenshot below. You have to right-click on the start value and then select the modify option.
- This will ask for value data which you need to change to 4. Then click on OK which will disable the Service.
- Now after you complete the previous steps, restart your computer. After the restart, you can notice that the Service Host Local system space has been reduced greatly. If this method doesn’t work, you can try other ways to stop the issue.
Turning Off Auto-Updates
When the problem is still persistent, disabling the automatic updates for Windows Services can help a lot. Sometimes these auto-updates cause the CPU to lag and disabling them solves the issue. To do it successfully, the steps are mentioned below:
- Go to your search bar on the bottom of your screen and then type Services. Then you will see different actions relating to the result from which you need to click on the open option.
- This will open a list of different settings on your screen. You need to find the Windows update option from the list and then when you locate it, you need to double click on the same. A popup window for different settings related to Windows, an update will appear on your screen.
- Go to the general tab that has an option for start-up type and then select disabled from the different options. Then click on the Apply button followed by ok.
- After you are done with these previous steps, you need to go back to the task manager, and then you need to find the Service Host Local system. When you find it, you need to right-click on it and then end the task.
Running DISM and SFC
The next way of solving the issue of the Service Host Local system taking too much storage is using a command prompt. This process is very quick and effective since it doesn’t involve long steps. To stop the Service using cmd and then run SFC and DISM, the process is as follows:
- Open your search bar and then type cmd from the search box. Then you will see a bunch of different options on the right side. From them, select the option that says Run as administrator. Then a warning popup will appear on your screen that will ask you to be sure for running the app. You need to click on the yes button from the UAC prompt.
- Then in the command prompt shown on your screen, type “sfc/scannow” and then you have to press enter.
- This will start a scan that will run on its own and then it will take some time to complete. After finished, it will show you a message for the completion. Then you have to type “dism/online/Cleanup-Image/restoreHealth” and then hit the enter button.
- After the scan has been completed you will most probably be free of this issue from your computer.
Killing the Service Host
The next method involves killing the Service Host directly to eliminate the issue of high disk usage by these Services. Given are the steps:
- Open your search bar and then type task manager. Then double click on that to see all the services running on your PC. You can also reach the task manager by pressing Ctrl+ Alt+ delete that will open the task manager directly.
- Then from the list of Services shown, find the Service Host Local system and then select Windows update among different options available. You also need to select the Update Orchestrator Service from the same page. Then you need to select the end task button available at the bottom right corner.
- A confirmation message will pop up on the screen that will ask you to shut down. You need to click on that option to complete the process. But you must check the Abandon unsaved data and shutdown options before shutting it down.
- With the completion of this process, you should be able to reduce the size of the Service Host which used to take too much storage on your hard disk.
Changing Processor Scheduling
CPU is a very delicate system that works according to how you optimize it for your use. So, if some Services are taking too much of your hard disk space or consuming your RAM, then you can change the settings easily and you will be free from this issue. The steps for that are as follows:
- Open the search bar and then type advanced system in the box. Then open it from the right window. After that select, the View advanced system settings by double-clicking on it.
- Now you will see options as shown in the screenshot below. Go to the Advanced menu and then find the performance box from there. Now, choose the settings option from the tab.
- Then a window like the following will open up. From the advanced tab click on the programs radio button and then click on apply. This will change the scheduling of your processor. Now click on the OK option to finish the process.
- After performing this method, you will see a rapid decrease in the CPU usage by Services. And subsequently, the speed of the system will also get enhanced. If the problem isn’t solved even after this, then you can perform a clean boot that is explained in the next method.
Sometimes applications downloaded from a third-party server cause the system to slow down or cause excessive usage of the hard disk that ultimately affects the health of the CPU in your system. These applications aren’t that necessary for your PC and you can start your computer without them. This is called clean boot. Some of the main applications that were reported to cause excessive storage usage issues are:
- MSI Command center
- VPN chrome extensions
- Virtual Disc app
- Dragon naturally speaking
- HP Help
The process to clean boot in any system is as follows:
- Go to the search bar and type “mscconfig”. Then click on the open option from the right side.
- Then you will see the Services tab from which you need to uncheck the option that says Hide all Microsoft Services. Then there will be a disable button which you need to click on and then following that you need to click on the OK.
- After you are done with the previous step, go to the start-up tab where you can see the Open task manager option.
- When you click the start-up tab in the task manager, click on the enabled application and then make them disabled by selecting them. Once you are finished, restart your PC and your problems should have ended.
Disabling Windows Delivery Optimization
If no other method works when you are trying to minimize the hard disk space usage, then disabling the Windows delivery optimization is a hopeful way. But there is a catch here because the delivery optimization sometimes increases the storage usage by Service Host. So, you need to turn off your memory optimization. The process for doing that is as follows:
- Press Windows+ I to open the settings. Then from there find the Update & Security menu. Click on that and you will see a screen like this.
- Then click on the Delivery Optimization from the opened window. Then you need to find the “Allow downloads from other PCs” and then disable it.
- After you are done with disabling the option, you need to restart your system and by this time the issue of your excessive CPU usage should be gone.
Frequently Asked Questions ( FAQ's)
- Is the Service Host Local system a fatal error?
No, it doesn’t drastically affect the system if you know how to avoid or eradicate this problem. There are different ways in which this will solve this issue without any damage to the PC. But if this issue is persistent, it will make your computer lag and will eventually affect the system’s performance.
- What happens when the Service Host Local system uses too much storage?
Not only does the Service Host Local system cause an excessive shortage in memory by occupying too much space in the hard disk but also affects the RAM ultimately shortening the lifespan of the CPU. Another result of this issue is you won’t be able to store your necessary data though no talks are going on.
- Is this problem common in all Windows 10 running PCs?
A lot of Windows 10 users have experienced this issue and it is believed that it occurred first with updates from Windows 8. So, if you are on Windows 10, then there are possibilities that you will experience this.
- Are there any threats related to viruses with the Service Host Local system?
Service Host Local systems do increase the chances of virus attacks since it affects the working of Windows defenders, and sometimes affects the network bandwidth. These all result in the weakening of system security.
- What is the fastest way to solve this problem?
The easiest, as well as the fastest way to solve this issue, is by changing the processor scheduling. The process for doing it is very simple and is completed with simple steps. If you want a quick escape from this problem, then this is the quickest method.
- Will this problem go off by itself?
Unfortunately, it would not. The Service Host Local system causes the hard disk space to run out of memory thus creating a lot of further problems. And if it is persistent, you may have to experience a lag in your PC.
The Service Host Local system can cause a lot of trouble if it remains unresolved. This is a measure problem in Windows 10 update that users are tired of facing and is a constant topic of discussion for how one can avoid it completely. It can affect your computer in various ways including problems in storage space running out, the computer being lag and many more. There can be many reasons why this problem happens in your PC, and sometimes it leads to the requirement of a new CPU. Hopefully one of these solutions can help you tackle these problems.