We all are experiencing updates and upgrades in the technologies that we use in our everyday life. Also, the majority of us are connected to the world with the help of the internet from our PC and smart devices. Moreover, from the total PC users, there are over 400 million people who use Windows 10 as their OS. Often the problem of the internet being slow is encountered with Windows 10 enabled computers. Windows 10 slow internet has been a major problem for millions of users who want their internet to get back to normal speed.
The problem with this slow internet Windows 10 issue is that there is no error sign shown to the user from the computer about the internet being slow, it usually starts with lags in the opening of links or buffering videos. This is annoying and if you are trying to accomplish any important task, then it can take much of your time for nothing. So, you must be wondering if there are any ways to solve or permanently eradicate this problem. The details about how to solve this slow wifi Windows 10 issue have been addressed in this article.
Why Do We Encounter Slow Internet On Windows 10?
Before knowing the ways to overcome this Windows 10 slow problem, we must look into the reasons why this issue arises in the first place. Windows 10 has brought many functional features and a great bundle of tools since its initial release in 2015 and has been very popular among users. Its appealing usability thus requires more resources from the PC and the network bandwidth. So usually, it’s a simple conclusion that it will use more network connectivity for its regular usage.
However, this is not the only reason that creates a slow internet speed Windows 10 issue. Windows 10 has a feature to run various background apps that are necessary for it to function and thus they also receive a great portion of your internet data. So, all of these factors simultaneously cause the PC internet connection to become slow and thus annoys you with poor connectivity.
How To Fix A Slow Internet On Windows 10?
The following are some of the Windows 10 slow internet fix methods that you can apply to get rid of the issue:
Disabling Peer to Peer Update:
Peer-to-peer technology is a feature that offers the Windows 10 device to share updates over the internet with any other device which can cause excess data usage. To solve this problem, you have to follow these steps:
- First, you will need to press the Windows key along with the R key simultaneously. This way, you will be able to see the Run dialog box.
- Here, you have to type control update in the search box given and then hit the enter button.
- From the option that is available on the screen, click on the Advanced options>Delivery Optimization.
- Then, you will need to turn the “Allow downloads from other PCs” off with a click. This will most probably solve the slow internet issue after a restart.
Disabling Auto-tuning for Windows:
Windows 10 has a dedicated tool for more efficient data transfer which is Windows Auto-tuning. But sometimes it takes too much network bandwidth which is why your data connection becomes slow. To disable it, you will have to follow these steps:
- Press the Windows key on the keyboard and then type “cmd” which will show you an option for a command prompt. You will need to right-click on that and run it as an administrator.
- Then type “netsh interface tcp show global” in the window and hit the enter button.
- Then set the “Receive window auto-tuning level” to normal (Follow the next step directly if it is set to normal).
- Type “netsh int tcp set global=disabled” and hit enter.
- Now restart your PC and your internet issue should be gone by now.
Adjusting The Bandwidth Of The Internet:
Windows 10 has dedicated bandwidth settings for the default updates of the OS-related services and the rest is distributed among other apps. If your data speed is slowing down then you can change the bandwidth settings. The process to do that is:
- Press the Ctrl, Esc, and Shift buttons simultaneously which will open the Task Manager.
- Click on the File tab available on the screen and click “Run New Task”. Then type ‘gpedit.msc’ in the box. (Opt for ticking the box called “Create this task with administrative privileges”) and then, opt for clicking “OK”.
- From the computer configuration option available, you will have to double click on the Administrative templates>Network. Then, opt for clicking “QoS packet scheduler”.
- Then double click on the “Limit Reservable bandwidth” and set the value to 0 with the enabled option. Then click on the OK button. This should solve your slow internet issue.
Updating the Wi-Fi Drivers:
Sometimes the Wi-Fi drivers are mismatched or are old, which causes the internet to go slow. Although manually installing drivers is an option, the process is complicated. This is why you can use 3rd-party apps and update the drivers easily. This process to do that is:
- Go to your browser and type “Driver easy”. Then go to their official website and download the app. Then after it’s downloaded, install it and open it.
- The screen will ask for permissions which you will have to allow and you will be available with the “Scan Now” option. Click on that and your screen will show the updates required for drivers.
- Update them all and restart your PC. The problem of slow internet should be gone after the restart that’s required after the slow internet after Windows 10 update.
Disabling Large Send Offload (LSO):
LSO is a feature provided in Windows 10 that is beneficial for network usage. But sometimes when there are too many background running apps, this LSO becomes troubling and causes the internet to slow down. To disable it:
- Press the Windows key with R simultaneously to open the “run” dialog box and then type “devmgmt.msc”. Then hit the enter button.
- Then, double click on the option that says Network adapters and then, click on “your network adapter”.
- Now, go to the advanced tab and click on the “Large Send Offload v2 (IPv4)” to disable it. Then click on the “Large Send Offload v2 (IPv6)” and set the disabled option in the value. Then press OK.
- Hopefully, your internet slowdown issue will be gone after a quick restart.
Closing Background Apps:
Sometimes there are too many background applications running that use the network bandwidth excessively and cause the internet speed to slow in your Windows 10. To close these apps:
- Go to the Windows search bar and type “Task Manager”. And from there you will need to go to the “Performance” tab.
- When you click on the performance tab, you will see an option that says “Open Resource Monitor”. Click on that and then select the “network” tab from there.
- Then right-click on all those apps that are not needed at that moment and select the End process option to close the apps.
- This will mostly solve your slow internet connection instantly.
Firewalls are the safety features of Windows 10 that help to run the system perfectly. But sometimes their permissions get conflicted and your internet becomes slower. To disable the firewalls:
- Go to your Windows search bar and type Firewall and security. You will require double-clicking on the same.
- This will take you to the security window. From there find “firewalls” and click on the disable option.
- Then after a restart, your problem should be gone.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Is a slow internet connection on my Windows 10 permanent?
No, a Windows 10 slowing down internet issue can be solved very easily. You will just need to follow simple methods and it will be gone.
- How to solve the problem of slow internet connection?
The slow internet connection can be solved by methods like changing bandwidth settings, killing background apps, and many more that have been explained above.
- Are the methods explained safe to use?
Yes, the methods explained in this article are completely safe to use and don’t harm your PC.
- Why am I facing a slow internet connection?
A slow internet connection has various reasons including pending updates and running background applications.
- Can too many background apps running cause slow internet?
Yes, using too many apps in the background can cause excessive data usage and thus your internet connection will go slow.
This problem of the internet being slow in Windows 10 is irritating and often interferes with our day-to-day work schedule where we want to complete any task. Fortunately, these methods are some of the most widely used processes that can be used to solve this problem of slow internet connection on your Windows 10. And you won’t have to worry about the safety of your device since all these methods have been tested by millions of users around the globe. Hopefully, after you are done with any of these methods, your slow internet problem will be gone.