Ever since the invention of computers, we have been using them for a variety of tasks rather than just using them for computing purposes. There are over billions of users who use computers for their work. Windows and Apple have been two frontiers whose OS is popular amongst users. For people who are using Windows OS or trying to update to the latest update of Windows, the process is usually very simple and doesn’t involve any complicated steps. The streamlined technology for installation from Microsoft makes the installation process fast.
However, sometimes the users experience the error of the PC saying the “Windows cannot be installed to this disk“. This is most commonly followed by another error message that says the partition style that your disk uses isn’t compatible or supported by the update or installation wizard. This ultimately fails the installation process thus making you stuck with an unusable system. If you are facing this, then this article will help you solve this issue of the “Windows can not be installed to this disk“.
What is the “Windows Cannot Be Installed to This Disk” error?
Sometimes when we are trying to install any new version of windows to our PC, or we are reinstalling any old version, the system doesn’t allow the current type of disk partition style. This is when the system shows the Window cannot be installed to this disk error and you will be stuck with the error message. This is a very common issue encountered by thousands of users. When this error arises, your PC is unable to install new updates and the disk that is assigned for installation is useless.
This error is often followed by two types of error messages that say that “Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.” and “Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk has an MBR Partition table”. Both of them are related to the issue of incompatible disk management.
Why Do We Encounter The "Windows Cannot Be Installed To This Disk" Error?
Now since we know that Windows Cannot be installed to this disk error, there would be general questions like why does it happen in the first place. Well, most of the systems use 2 basic-level software for booting and start-ups. The first one is UEFI which is new and updated and the second one is BIOS which is currently outdated for most of the PCs. So, your motherboard will have one of these software for installations.
BIOS legacy mode supports the GPT type disk partition whereas EFI systems support MBR type disk management. So, whenever a mismatch or compatibility issue arises between the low-level installation software and the particular partition type, this error for Windows cannot be installed to this disk windows 10 arises.
How To Fix The "Windows Cannot Be Installed To This Disk" Error?
The BIOS and UEFI are the most commonly used low-level software that helps the computer to install the updates. Depending on the type of error that is shown on your PC, you will need to follow the required method to solve the issue.
Converting To MBR Type Using Diskpart
A caution before proceeding with this method is that all your files will be deleted from the disks if you are to use the Diskpart tool. So, if you are using a new PC, then this is one of the best methods, or else you should save all your data to somewhere safe and then follow these steps:
- First, store the Windows installation media to any disk and then, insert it to your PC. Then, while the installation is setting up, press shift and F10 simultaneously to access the command prompt.
- Then, opt to type “diskpart” and hit the enter button. At this moment, follow it by typing “list disk” and hit the enter button again. This will show you the different available drives.
- Then, you need to select the drive you want for Windows installation and then type “select disk 0”. After that, you have to hit the enter button followed by a command “clean” when entering.
- Then again type “convert mbr” with the entering button to convert it to MBR type. Then, type exit and hit the enter button again.
- Now when you try to reinstall the update, you shouldn’t face any issues. xxx
Checking BIOS Setup
The most common method to solve this issue is by checking the BIOS setup. To do that:
- Reboot your computer and then repeatedly press the key that activates the BIOS. If you don’t know which key activates the BIOS, then you can follow your manual for that.
- Then, you will need to find the “boot” tab in the BIOS and click on the boot mode option. If the boot mode is in Legacy BIOS, then you will need to convert the disk partition style to MBR from GPT if there is no UEFI.
- If there is an option for UEFI, then you can use the combination of UEFI/Legacy boot. Now, you just need to save the changes and the installation will get completed easily.
Using Disk Management Utility
Disk management is very useful if you are trying to dual boot your device. To do that, you have to follow these steps:
- Search disk management from the windows search bar and then find “Create and Format Hard disk partitions” from the control panel. Now, click on that.
- The list will show the GPT disk in the available volumes. Delete the partitions related to this volume by doing a right-click on it and then clicking on the Delete volume option.
- Once the space is available, right-click on the volume and click on “Convert to MBR Disk”.
“Windows Cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table.”
If you are facing the error of “Windows Cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR Partition table” on your PC, then opt to follow methods to solve the issue instantly.
Disabling EFI boot source
A quick method to solve this issue is jumping directly into BIOS that doesn’t need any sort of conversion. To do that:
- Reboot your PC and press the BIOS key (Usually DEL or F2). Then find the Boot order section.
- If you find EFI boot sources, then disable them. Now save the changes.
- You should be able to install the file by now.
Use a Flash drive 2.0 for installing the updates
If you are using any external drive to store the Windows Installation media, then we recommend you to choose a 2.0 flash drive since it will allow you to choose the MBR boot or Legacy when you are using it.
- When you are installing from the 2.0 flash drive, you will see a message “Press any key to boot from disk”. Wait for some time and this message will pop up again.
- Now click “any key” and select the designated drive you want to boot from.
- Now your installation should start without any issue.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What’s the GPT partition style?
It is low-level software that allows the system to create unlimited partitions and provides safer compatibility for modern hardware.
- Why can’t Windows install GPT?
If your system has UEFI legacy mode, then in that case your PC can’t install windows based on GPT type partitions.
- How to change the GPT partition style?
There are several ways in which you can change the GPT format to MBR that have been explained in detail in this article.
- How to create a GPT style partition?
GPT style partitions can be chosen right from the beginning when you choose a disk or when the disk is entirely clean.
- Can window 10 be installed on GPT?
If your PC has UEFI support, you can install windows 10 on any GPT disk.
The article covered all the essential steps that you need to take to solve this issue of the “Windows Cannot be installed to this disk”. Most of the hard partitions in all the PC supports BIOS versions but when you have hard drive partition styles like GPT or MBR, then you can follow any of the mentioned methods and your issue will be solved. UEFI-GPT and BIOS-MBR are two of the most commonly used boot methods, you can choose any of them according to your needs. If your issue is still not solved, then always feel free to contact customer care.